PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to explain all these documents???
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2006, 23:13
Brindabella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricky Bobby,

Im not sure what your question is really but if its got anything to do with how confusing it is to find the info you want in the Australian publications then I agree and think it is woeful.

I did my initial flight training in the states. For all the regulations I only ever had to open one book, the FAR's. If you bought a copy from ASA they put the AIM in the same book as well. I remember the frustration I had when I did my licenses back here just trying to dig out all the different rules for filing an alternate for example.

One thing I will say for the US regs is that its really easy to find what you want. For example if you operate charter you can find pretty much all the charter rules under one section of the regs, Part 135. Sceduled,Part 121 etc.

I remember when I sent away for the ATPL correspondance material from AFT and they sent me a huge box of binders etc with the regs and orders and AIP etc. Despite being very overwhelmed by all the binders I decided to have a crack at it. It took me about 4 hours of study before I quit...I promptly took the box of binders down to the dumpster and threw them away. I looked up to the single FAA reg/aim book sitting on my bookshelf and decided I would try and crack the Ozzie regs when I got back home to Oz and enroll in a class.

Gaunty,

I'm curious, would you agree that the Ozzie regs are a bit of a jumbled mess for an airman compared with the US ones?