PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter specific advice on ANR Headsets?
Old 27th Dec 2006, 22:14
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Droopystop
Gomer Pilot, I like the sound of the in ear foam plug type headset (if nothing else for the comfort) what make and model would you recommend.
I think the Clarity Aloft is a better quality, both overall and especially for the earplugs. It also has an input for cell phone (if you have an adapter) or mp3/other player. The earplugs they offer are good, but expensive. I remove the foam from a used one, keep the hard plastic holder, and insert that into a Howard Leight foam plug, and get excellent noise reduction and good communications quality. The Auricomm is about $100 cheaper, but it comes with crappy earplugs, and no inner part to reuse, so if I use that one I use some .133" plastic tubing from the company parts bin. It fits, it works, and it's cheap. Both are very comfortable and very quiet. It takes a few seconds longer to don them than a standard headset, but then who's in that big a hurry? It takes about the same amount of time as a helmet, I think.

One note - all these come with fixed-wing double plugs, not helicopter plugs. You need an adapter, or if you're handy with a soldering iron, you can replace the dual plugs with a U174 plug.

Last edited by Gomer Pylot; 27th Dec 2006 at 23:50.