PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - View from the back (of an F28)
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2006, 20:13
stevef

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts
Without wishing to cause any upset, Late Developer, I'd venture that you don't really know enough about aircraft inspection procedures to air your complaints. You seem to be griping about cosmetic issues and I suspect that you've been on the CAA website looking for ADs to quote. I can assure you that (assuming this isn't a Lithuanian or DRC-registered aircraft) all relevant safety and precautionary issues have been addressed. Commercial aircraft work under well-regimented maintenance schedules and it's not left to the painter & finisher to carry out an exterior airframe inspection, as you flippantly suggest.
If you want to know why you see flaking paint around screw heads, it's because the panels that they secure are removed for inspection purposes and no matter how well the paint has been applied, there will always be cosmetic damage caused by screwdrivers. You won't see this on your Citroen because cars don't have access panels. And, as you quite correctly mentioned, the extreme temperature changes exacerbate matters, not to mention airframe flexing. Also believe it or not, a bit of filiform corrosion around rivet heads isn't going to make your aircraft fall out of the sky. I think you'll find that these minor irritations are rectified on the larger maintenance checks. I wonder how you'd feel if your next trip was delayed due to a bit of missing paint at Wing Station 197.
Perhaps you'd enjoy your flight more if you had a vodka & tonic and pulled your window blind down.