PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carbon Brakes versus Steel.
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2006, 17:57
h73kr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robin747
I would like to add here, having seen them perform on the A310 and the B744, they are pretty good being lighter and are 'sensitive' to the amount of application of braking effort and are also sensitive at lower temp [ its inherent characteristics] single smart effort of braking would build up less heat / temp then say a shy braking effort all the way.

They are also sensitive to bad keeping, eg: if cold water is poured on heated brakes for quick cooling, they are known to warp. It needs or prefers cooling fans or else a gentle cooling with or without some conditioned air.Even the messier-bugatti site is silent on this.
Whoa there, please NEVER allow or suggest any kind of cold liquid cooling for any kind of overheated aircraft brakes! If you do, at least let me know so I can take steps, large ones, in the opposite direction. Never mind warp, sudden explosive shatter is more likely! Otherwise, yep, carbon much lighter, less brake fade and heat accumulation, but very prone to softening/degradation from oil absorption/contamination etc.