PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - View from the back (of an F28)
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2006, 16:42
late developer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
The last F28 was manufactured in 1987 so they are all older than 20 years. None has ever come apart and none are likely to do so.
Actually I think the ones I am likely to be exposed to again are a bit later - the Mk.0100 variant. ADs applicable mention amongst other things, stabiliser bolts that might not originally receive the correct surface treatment that would prevent corrosion, and reinforcement of areas around the engine mount shear shelf web that might be prone to cracks and other damage to the shear shell web. I

Fall apart? Well I know they are not designed to and I appreciate there have been a lot flying over the years. As I indicated, I just wonder what proactive inspection of the bits I saw is carried out.

I am not convinced that repeated repainting does any airframe much good. The paint sign offs were always a bit of a contentious thing as I recollect...

I was really quite surprised to see what I did. It would require either someone sat in row 20 looking out of the window, or someone up a ladder deliberately positioning his head between the fuselage and the engine pod to notice it.

I can mail pictures to anyone that has an interest.