PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The guy with the mobile phone
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2006, 16:07
h73kr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A2QFI
I have never been a smoker so I don't know what the risks are, apart from to one's health! How could it be more risky to smoke in the toilet (with smoke detectors fitted) than in the main passenger cabin, if it was still permitted? Whatever the risks I suggest that they are less than those of a mobile phone's alleged ability to disrupt navigations sytems, GPS and FBW controls, and which is the basis for the restriction/ban on their use.
Put it this way, most smoke detectors currently certified don't very effectively detect cigarette smoke, only 'proper' smoke from a real fire, a bit late then perhaps!. Secondly, I'm by no means disagreeing that mobile phones are a hazard, but if anyone tells me that some idiot with a personal habit throwing his not quite extinguished cigarette butt in to the waste hand paper container in a toilet, to smoulder undetected and then cause a fire is NOT a legitimate hazard, I, and every aviation authority in the World would be stupid not to take issue with the statement.
People die from fires on aircraft, it's a known fact.