PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF to encourage Fat WAAFs
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2006, 10:14
Vage Rot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by musclemech
I mentioned 10% earlier in the thread, but having checked, my ex physiology textbook reports 15-30% difference (or higher depnding on how you express it).
If that is the case then surely the female level should be closer to the male level? Even at 30% it cannot simply be men at level 10, women at level 7 as the hiher the level the more shuttles you run, so 30% off 10:5 must be around 8:7 - a rough guess.
Aerobic capacity is a measure of how well you can extract oxygen from the inspired air, transport it to the working muscles, and then use it in the working muscles. Obviously this only works if you compare like for like ie unfit man cw unfit woman/ fit man cw fit woman, but:
Women have smaller lungs so they will inspire less, and extract less oxygen from it.
And smaller muscles, with a smaller frame that require less oxygen! Quid Pro Quo, the same! (work = ass times distance moved, ooops - Freudian slip!)
and higher fat levels which increases weight without giving any benefit to aerobic capacity. Their smaller muscle mass will also make it more difficult to actually move their body through the air.
Have to agree with this based on some of the WAAF/WRAF that I've seen about!
Plus when you are talking about a running test to measure aerobic capacity, women's bodies are evolved for childbirth in that they have wider hips which leads to knock-knees and flatter feet, all of which just aren't biomechanically suited to running.
So why do we let them fight on equal terms?
but in essence girls are not encouraged to build up their fitness in the same way boys are.
-they would be encouraged more if their fitness test was more demanding.
The RAFFT is designed to encourage individuals to exercise regularly and reach a certain level of fitness in relation to their capacity (if you like, a percentage of their potential maximum). As women have a lower maximum potential, it makes sense that women have to achieve lower scores than males.
A cripple could complete the ladies test to a satisfactory standard!
Hope that explains (what was actually the original question!!!)
MM
Cheers - it did - but still wasn't a satisfactory answer!
Like I said - we all need to be fit, not arguing that one, but my grandmother could do the ladies test ...........and she's dead!

Last edited by Vage Rot; 27th Dec 2006 at 10:16. Reason: verry pour speiling