PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter specific advice on ANR Headsets?
Old 27th Dec 2006, 09:44
Brilliant Stuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxNg
Hello all
Since the introduction of the European HSE Noise in the workplace regulations effective 6th April 2006 Scotia Helicopters (under the guidance of BALPA/ Scotia Company council Reps) have been conducting noise trials to establish suitable PPE (personal Protective Equipment) ie Headsets.
We are currently testing the AS332 L/L2, S92, S76A/A+/C+, AW139, and AS365 and although the tests are not yet complete, one of the least protective of all those tested (in so far as protecting against High tone deafness) is the Bose ANR, although they offer great comfort and good base tone attenuation it would appear that they are well out proformed when it comes to hearing protection in those types tested to date. There is some work to do yet as these tests are geared towards the best possible solution.
It is a very frightening fact that when you loose your hearing you will never ever recover it and although you may think that you are protected, simply feeling less fatigued after a flight is no measure of a headsets protection from high tone deafness, Our company is committed to finding the best protection possible and with BALPA's expertease and resouces we hope to have this solution on the table early in the new year.
Answer Number 187 to the question "What as BALPA ever done for Me"
About time too!!!!!!!!!!!

We were told 2-3 years ago we would need new headsets due to new laws and thanks to H&S. I asked the question several times of the company and BALPA all I got as an answer was to expensive and Aberdeen doesn't want it. So we had to stick to our cheap and simple bog standard Peltors. Hence I believe now I have some hearing loss.

Am I glad to wear an Alpha Eagle now