PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The guy with the mobile phone
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2006, 16:34
late developer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Grumps
The latest on mobile phone onboard useage is that signals to the outside will be effectively cut....
Not sure how they will do that unless every mobile user learns exactly how to revert their phone fiddling to automatic network searching and automatic power reduction. One of the power settings on my phone was set to default maximum 100mW when I found it recently whilst fiddling. Haven't a clue how to find it again and reduce it. I am sure taking the battery out would help, but that would be off-message, wouldn't it?

Many airlines seem to tolerate use of mobiles onboard right up to the point of engine start up. I have often wondered whether there's any risk that any GPS/IRS coordination might be compromised in some way by perhaps 100 active mobile phones transmitting text messages during the setup.

I don't understand why PPs haven't been more outspoken about the risks generally. I suppose the reason is that they only know what they are told about the problems, which if the CAA website is anything to go by, isn't much. What they don't know, I guess they imagine they'll deal with by isolating any malfunctioning system and continuing with the nearly full bag of unsullied goodies that's left. That is if they spot the problem early enough to avoid upset ...

... what problem?