PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR 42 and 72 - aerodynamics during landing
Old 26th Dec 2006, 08:40
AHRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was driving a similar message mate(unless you wanna misquote people without digesting what they write first)...if you read closely.You land it with a shallower pitch.If your scan is disciplined , there are no rules to say you can't scan/glance both in and out...nothing queer about that, just dextrous mate.Even during the flare you are notsupposed to fixate on any parameter...Perhaps you should try and see what improvements that leads to.It doesn't take much guts to glance at the IVSI whilst landing an airplane I assure you!If you declare yourself NOT as a master of your job, then I pity you and will have to take your comments lacking in substance. Ballooning generaly is seen as a pilot induced probem and not aircraft induced..airworthiness authorities would otherwise see to it that a remedial measure is taken.

Originally Posted by click
Having flown the 42 and the 72 and NOT a master may I add a few cents worth? Selecting a target pitch attitude and having your eyeballs inside the cockpit below 50' is.......rather shall I say it? Ok, queer. Both machines are great for the short hops inside a couple of hours, the 72 balloons a lot so you gotta drive her on. We had several versions of the 42. The 320, 400 and 500. The 500 finally has some balls and increased gross weight so you can actually take fuel and people as well. Aeroconejo is right, the 72 has to be landed flat or you'll end up with racing stripes up your butt, the 42 is like a big Cessna 172, chop the throttle at flare, bring the nose up and land like you've been taught .

Last edited by AHRS; 26th Dec 2006 at 09:46.