PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - upgrade failure rates / sacked while in trainig
Old 26th Dec 2006, 07:27
Five Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Record

Flex:

I have found you postings on other issues to be well balanced and intelligent. Why then do you show such a callous disregard for your fellow crew members and those aspiring to be captain ?
Originally Posted by FlexibleResponse
These are fairly harsh words and a new and bitter experience for a younger generation, many of whom have been the victims of education systems that are prohibited from grading them due to perceived problems of self esteem etc.
I would suggest that this is not at all an open minded view. Something that you promote on other threads but are sadly lacking here.

However the demands of airline aviation are that on each flight the destiny of some 400 lives, $200 million of airframe and $1 billion of insurance payout are in the balance (and possibly the commercial survival of that airline).
As I have said before this is precisely why you need to make sure that you are at the forefront of not only aviation technology and equipment, but also at the forefront of educational and human factors thinking. It is pure arogance to think that there have not been some improvements in training since your Aus air force days. Might I remind you that the system being applied to current command candidates is far different than when you checked out in the left seat. Command assessment interviews, massive write ups fo RTs, etc. etc. Also the system is currently wired for failure. Check captains can extend their's and senior mate's careers by ensuring that enough Captain candidates fail.

This sort of responsibility doesn't allow for automatic promotion of mummy's little boy who is used to been molly-coddled and spoonfed.
Again from a usually balanced view you turn and denigrate your fellow pilots. Why ? Nobody expects an automatic promotion. What we do want and sorely need in this airline is a balanced playing field. One where hard work and skill is rewarded not where the luck of who you draw as a checker determines your fate.