PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia Mayday
Thread: Iberia Mayday
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2006, 20:51
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My post was highlighting the fact that ATC Watcher had clearly not understood the post made by underread east who made no mention that he would not react to a RA based on what he heard on the R/T - which is dangerous... however he did not say that!

Hats off to blanza for coming into the lions den as someone who uses his native lingo on the R/T. Whilst perfectly legal the main issue I have is that is seriously degrades my SA. I am sure we all try to build a mental picture of where other aircraft are and if the other crew are using a language that you do not understand then this becomes difficult.

If I hear a aircraft close to me and above me making a emergency descent on the R/T then in anticipation of a possible RA, in those few moments I will consider putting the fasten belts on and possibly making a brief PA which could well include instructions for the cabin crew to stow the carts asap. If someone is descending at me in a emergency then TCAS logic will want me to descend as well and I will need to shove the nose down to get the VSI pointing into the green band so thereby I will be replicating a emergency descent so that I will deconflict. Imagine this when pax are standing in the aisle or when the cabin crew are serving hot drinks! As a precaution I would like to secure the cabin as best as I can in case of a RA - even if pax just returned to their seat would be a start! If crews do not use English then I simply don't have the situational awareness that I would have if they did.