PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A160 Hummingbird rigid rotor design
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2006, 22:22
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,

Originally Posted by Dave_Jackson
It appears that the rotor may have individual blade control, by electrical rotary actuator.
This is what the picture looked like to me. Maybe this is the trial of Ian's "High speed electric actuators". Maybe the resolution is just too poor, but i wondered about that cable.

A potential advantage of 'Absolutely' rigid rotors for your objective is that the craft should perform as an airplane if it stalls. In other words, if there is sufficient elevation, the nose will drop and RRPM will then increase.
If a heli rotor stalls you fall from the sky like a stone - there is NO mode of recovery. The only way to avoid this would be designing a "pushable" collective for -ve pitch to force rotation (like windmilling a prop).

The intermeshing offers many advantages, however the attractiveness of the interleaving increases as one looks deeper and deeper into it.
At the serious risk of threadjacking an already interesting subject:
I am a believer in identifying the problem before attempting to design the solution. Coaxial is the most flexible system but intermeshing has hub packaging and possible shaft weight advantages. I champion neither, but recognise both as solutions to the problem of high speed heli flight. Remember my interest here has always been to identify the technological lmlitations of future helicopter development.

----

All fellow Rotorheads,

Have a Merry Xmas, and thank you for developing my understanding of rotorcraft!!!

Mart

Last edited by Graviman; 24th Dec 2006 at 22:36.