PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2006, 18:46
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Vk Reply Flight OWR - LOS

I'm delighted to be able to say that my e-mail to Virgin Nigeria has elicited a most prompt and satisfactory reply from Tony Mackenzie, their Director of Flight Operations. I'm sure he won't mind if I publish it below:
Thank you for your e-mail.
I was surprised to find, after some investigation, that your flight had indeed departed after official sundown from Owerri. I have taken the following actions:
Issued a notice to all our pilots reminding them that the airfield is day only and close at 1840 local. In addition, I have reminded all my Captains that as the commander of the aircraft, although Air Traffic Control may offer them an illegal departure, it is their decision and they must not be influenced. There are no taxiway, runway or approach lights at Owerri and as such it is a daytime operation only.
I have changed our schedules into Owerri, to ensure we can turn around and depart without fail before sundown. If we cannot, due to delays, then we will night stop and put passengers and crew into hotels.
I hope you will, on this occasion, accept my sincere apologies for your discomfort and you have my assurance that Virgin Nigeria operates to the highest safety standards including JAR-OPS1 and NCARS – whichever are the most restrictive.
We take safety very seriously and assure you that we have listened to you and taken the appropriate actions stated above.
I hope you'll all agree with me that Virgin's reply was most prompt and the actions of the company wholly appropriate. I'm sure the crew meant well and just wanted to make sure their passengers arrived in Lagos that night.
I hope that this incident has now been laid to rest and that LJT and AG can at least talk to each other, even if they'll never be friends