PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF to encourage Fat WAAFs
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2006, 11:33
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
Why exactly again is the RAF 'encouraging' it's employee's to become fitter - huge benefits to the employee, or the employer......?

The government has made much lately of the need to tackle obesity (which incidently I agree with) - but what is their arguement for doing so? Is it on the basis that the government 'cares' about the well being of it's population? NO!!! It is on the basis of the predicted cost to the NHS - which the government is worried about being able to afford!! While I agree this may be part of the equation - it says much about the governments priorities.

In the same way I have my doubts about the RAF being concerned about passing on 'huge benefits' to myself. The RAF doesn't seem to worry about giving me the 'benefit' of an aircraft armed with suitable defensive aids when flying me into war zones, just to quote one example. I suspect the RAFs approach to fitness is driven by the benefit to the employer rather than the employee - that and the need to show the Army that we make some attempt to stay fit.

By the way, whilst not a fitness 'nutter', I go to the gym more than once a year for my fitness test. I attempt to keep fit, for the health benefits it brings - BUT THAT IS MY CHOICE, NOT THE RESULT OF MY 'EMPLOYERS' POLICIES. I only state this so you don't lump me into the wrong 'camp' in this ongoing thread debate.