PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC120
Thread: EC120
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2006, 10:45
Hilico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual in the EC120

I've read all 400 or so posts on this thread and none of them mention what it's like to fly as PuT. (I could only afford the one trip so perhaps it's not representative, but what the heck).

For reasons to do with the mission I was sitting on the left. The VEMD was wonderfully clear and easy to keep Tq at 85 (or more accurately, 'between the 8 and the 9'). However, all the flight instruments were on the right side of the panel and the same size as my watch (and I don't have a pilot's watch) so cruise consisted of making sure the collective didn't drop and occasionally peering across at the altimeter. Full fuel and four up (two light-ish people in the back) we started off getting about 110 which I'm sure was 115 or a little more after an hour and the loss of 100kg of fuel. But I couldn't swear to that simply because the dials were that small.

We did get a brief 'beep' from the VEMD when turning and pulling after TO; P1 admitted he'd started the manouvre a smidgen too early and reckoned the 206 was definitely stronger. I know that's a subject that still causes disagreement.

The a/c (about 400hrs on the Hobbs) had a great 'posh car' feel and excellent visibility.

If I was speccing, it would have LARGE AND CLEAR flight instruments, preferably crystal clear tellies like the engine display. Or of course, I could have sat on the right - but how would P1 have known I was flying it properly then?