PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF to encourage Fat WAAFs
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2006, 08:36
musclemech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LFFC
As I pointed out before, the RAFFT may have been designed as an "incentive", but with all your talk about "sanctions", it appears to be more of a threat!
A proper incentive to exercise would be time away from primary duties in order to do it. Or even better, recognition for achieving high levels of fitness, but sadly I can't see that happening.
MM, I really can sympathise with where you're coming from. I like to keep myself pretty fit and got great satisfaction from the last marathon I ran; the training for it was great fun, but it took a hell of a lot of my spare time (that I was very fortunate to have). However, remember the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".
PS.
I note your new position with interest:
Please remember the goverment's diversity policy. We come in all shapes and sizes and we all bring our own particular skills and qualities. Be very careful; if someone can do their primary task regardless of their level of fitness, then why should they be penalised?
There was actually some talk about financial rewards for reaching 'excellent' grades, but I haven't heard of it coming to anything.

I didn't think I had a new position: It's just a fact that if anyone were discaharged for failing the RAFFT they could successfully sue the MOD, which is why the focus of sanctions is on attitude and actually carrying out the remedial package rather than on passing the test.

I completely agree that we all have our own skills and qualities, but remember the RAFFT has nothing to do with how well one carries out one's primary task. Regular exercise has huge benefits to the health of an individual (and some to the employer), which is why the RAF is trying to encourage its workforce to do so. Some people just need a bit more of a prod to get them started....

BTW, congrats on completing the marathon. Much respect .

MM