PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 24th Dec 2006, 05:53
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oops, previous post, and this post, from -

http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/Safet...stability.html
The Difference Between Certification Standards & The Real World

NTSB Member Debbie Hersman: If you are a line pilot, how likely would it be that you would get the full amount [of rudder]? Or get 1.2 inches of the pedal at 250 [knots airspeed]?
NTSB professional staff member David Ivey: If I were to put in rudder? And knowing what I had found that ... there was a very good chance you could put in full rudder [with 1.2 inches of travel]?
Hersman: And if you put in full rudder to the right, how likely is it that you're going to have to come back with the left rudder?
Ivey: I think I could speak for most pilots that if I had any input that had sent me to the right, for example, I'm not going to do what certification says and put my rudder to neutral. I am going to counter the effects that I have just experienced in my body or what I have seen and I'm going to put in opposite rudder to try to correct the problem ... But to answer your question, if I had a big yaw to the right I would put in left rudder. I certainly wouldn't put it in neutral.
Hersman: And once that happened, is it your belief that this pilot was in an APC?
Ivey: It is my belief. Source: NTSB