PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST - 2
Thread: BELFAST - 2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2006, 22:21
stevNI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belfast Transatlantic Traffic

I think Belfast International Airport has much more potential for transatlantic traffic. With only 1 daily flight to New York and a few weekly services from Zoom and flyglobespan I believe Belfast is still underserved.

You only have to look to Dublin where there are usually 10 transatlantic flights daily! With 6 daily flights to New York, destinations such as Boston, Chicago, Atlanta and LA. I have even heard that Northwest airlines are planning detroit for 2007.

Why such a difference? Belfast is the Second largest city on the Island of Ireland. The population of the Republic of Ireland is 4.2 million and that of Northern Ireland 1.7 million, OK it is understandable that Dublin being the largest city on the island and many US companies situated near by attracts more services but things still don't add up!! The Republic of Ireland has only 2/3 of the population of the island but over 90% of the transatlantic traffic (this is not even including transatlantic flights from Shannon). Why does all the transatlantic traffic and growth seem to go to Dublin and very little to Belfast?