PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2006, 20:51
Blinkz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats John, great job. Welcome to the club!

Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat
Yeah, bit of an artificial exercise, that, with the instructor/examiner doing the flying whilst you mess around with pens and maps and stuff.
In real life you may have to do it in your head, you won't always have a passenger who can do straight-and-level whilst you use your hands for other things like drawing lines.
(Last real life diversion I had, I did have a passenger but it was a foreign schoolgirl with limited English and it never occured to me to get her to do the flying. I just glanced at the map and guessed. Yeah, maybe the navaids would have helped ... except that nothing much was working on that aircraft that day, just the DME IIRC.)
hmmm you must have had a nice examiner! In both my PPL and CPL I've had to do the calculations whilst flying the aircraft!! I just put it in a orbit and do some hasty sums, more guesstimates then anything else. Once I have the initial heading I set off, the rest of it you can work out on the way. Happy christmas everyone! Hope the weather improves for some winter flying. I passed my 170a last week and will be sitting my IR early january, wish me luck!