PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-105
Thread: F-105
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2006, 18:45
wileydog3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
I don't know if this is one of the same Thuds as mentioned by SASLess but the combat report went something like this:
The mission was briefed for 4x4 ship north of the DMZ and was ingressing at 300k at 16k. Charlie, in a single Mig 21 was identified by AEW and called in to the formation. The Mig was at 21k on a 180 at 700k. As the Mig rolled in to attack, Atoll from 6 o'clock 2 miles, one of the trail formation identified the intended target and called the bandit but due to excessive R/T chatter the target aircraft did not get the call.
After launch the Mig 21 exited north and disengaged. His target was the No 3 in one of the lead formations and it was believed that the Mig had been visual with only this formation.
The target aircraft was hit by an atoll missile in the starboard side of the jet pipe below the stabliator and detonated. The expanding rod warhead was contained by the steel jet pipe and all the pilot noticed was a momentary fluctation in his JPT. The mission was continued and the aircraft recovered with the rocket motor protruding from the side of the aircraft.
I knew well two Thud drivers, one my T-38 instructor and the other a KC-135 instructor.

The first was with Thorsen when he got his Medal of Honor. Hoeft took an 85mm round up through his wing. He had a picture of him standing IN the wing. They bolted on steel plates and flew the airplane to Taiwan to repair it. During tests, the wing failed at about 3Gs. Hoeft said he was lucky he did a straight in when RTB..

The second was Doug Beyers (sp?). Beyers brought the missile home with a dud warhead. Beyers had a picture of him standing beside the Thud with the missile dangling from the Thud.

On my two tours to Thailand in -135s, we refueled a lot of Weasels. The main thing was to always ensure the pumps were off for a disconnect as the intake on the Air Cycle Machine was near the receptable and if there was any spray, the Thud driver could get doused and that didn't make for a happy fellow.