PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia Mayday
Thread: Iberia Mayday
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2006, 16:20
toro01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear all:

Interesting issue this. For a start the english level of quite a lot spanish pilots is just enough to survive I agree 100%

As a spanish pilot however I want to say the following:

1.- English sholud be spoken on the ATC not only in Spain but France Italy Greece, Rusia, and the rest of the world. If you have been flying more than 100 miles out of the UK airspace you know what I mean,so you should be surprised for the behaviour of this pilot. Have you ever landed in CDG? or ORY? or FCO?Donīt put all the blame on the spaniards only beacuse half of england flies to the spanish beaches

2.- Since this particular pilot was in Spain it makes sense to respond to an Spanish ATC talking in Spanish in a mayday it helps to reduce your workload in that situation. However I have not doubt that in the UK airspace the spanish pilot would have sorted out the problem perfectly.

3.- It is very difficult for an English speakker to have the right perspective about other languages, considering that Uk people are the ones with the lowest level of knowledge of other languages in all the EU.

4.- I have been flying in the States quite a lot and the American aeronautical English is far far far from being the standard ICAO.

5.- Merry Christmas chaps