PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EX R.A.F fast jet Navigators
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2006, 13:11
Vage Rot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korova
It would be a more exciting career than my dull city job (which is the reason I applied), but I have only been offered a SSC, it is a career with a limited shelf life and I would be a second class citizen (if that) compared to the 'two-winged master race', which would be difficult to swallow.
I've had 20 years of telling pilots where to go and loved every minute of it. Anyone can do the 'monkey see monkey do' pilotty bits but it takes brains to ................................ bu99er, forgot, I joined as a pilot and got chopped abut a year in.
More seriously, it's not so much what you do but how you do it, it's an enjoyable job and, as with everything, if you are good then you have the respect of your peers of all branches.
With a bit of experience and airmanship you should find it easy to cross over if you do decide to take their offer however, think first. We are short of WSO(Nav) and pilots but, whereas it's (correct use of apostrophe!!) easy to attract pilots into the RAF it's no so easy to recruit Navs. Coupled with the fact that the chop rate from pilot, and re-role to Nav, is a lot lower than it used to be means a shortfall on Nav recruitment. They may just be dangling the Nav option in front of you so hold out for Pilot if that's what you want.
Good Luck!