PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 3
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 3
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2006, 10:48
FlyboyUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olton Pete

Glad you enjoyed the clip, thought you ground based guys might like to see that we do have to work sometimes!

The CAT II decision height on both ends at BHX is 100 feet radio altitude (when you hear the minimums call), so yes it was pretty close when we got the lights. Once the decision to land is made, I take control from the f/o (monitored approach procedure) the autopilot is taken out at 80 feet and a manual landing carried out as there is no autoland on the 145. I think I've been very lucky over the last few days, having got in on every approach.

Not sure about the Dash 8's but I would have thought they would also be CATII. But it does depend on the company approval, aircraft serviceability and crew training.
As for the 195 I would expect that until it has been in service for a while it won't be approved for CATIII (presuming it has been designed as CATIII capable) as it will need to prove itself as reliable for those conditions as well as the crew getting experience on it. I remember when we first started operating the RJ's we could only do CATIIIA approaches until the company and crews had a certain level of experience on the type. Later on the company was approved for CATIIIB on the RJ.

Merry Christmas