PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF to encourage Fat WAAFs
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2006, 08:30
musclemech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by In Tor Wot
Lots of stuff on here - good and bad and the usual knife-fight in a 'phone box between the fittys and the fattys over RAF fitness standards.
However, I strongly believe that if the RAF is serious over fitness levels it has to support the policies with resources. When the OFT was first brought up I was on a tactical, deployable unit and therefore felt that it was something that we should do, and do well. To that end we requested assistance from the gym in organising PT sessions for the squadron 3 times a week (1 hr each). What we really needed was assistance in setting up a proper training schedule/regime that wouldn't degenerate into a game of football 3 times a week once the initial flush of enthusiasm had died out.
What we got was a blank look followed by a sucking of teeth and a sorry tale that they didn't have enough PTIs (6 on a station of 3600, including the PEdO) . The result was that we 'organised' the runs, cross-country and weights, but had little idea whether we were achieving anything (constructive towards the OFT), or leaving ourselves wide open to claims should someone keel over clutching their chest
Personnel have a responsibility for their fitness, true, but so too do the 'management’. The gyms are there, sometimes with staff, but the opportunity to get to it is often limited and where personnel have the choice between being with family or in the gym don't be surprised when the former takes precedence.
As for the 3 strikes and you're out - I totally agree and tried to dispose of 2 such individuals. Unfortunately, whilst the spin sounded tough it folded like a paper tent in a rainstorm when the 'test' button was pressed. To the best of my knowledge both individuals remain in the RAF, unfit, and with little likelihood of being thrown out. Top-tip, don't make sweeping announcements unless you've sorted out the paperwork beforehand - it totally undermines your command chain and inculcates contempt for military discipline.
I don't know what the commitments of your PEd staff are but it seems a bit of a poor show that they couldn't offer 3 x 1 hour sessions with a staff of 7. However, I did with the deployable unit at my unit and it vey quickly died a death as everything else always seemed to take priority . What was interesting was that the flt cdrs and senior SNCOs were often those who had pressing engangements elsewhere. It didn't take the rest long to work that out, and before you knew it, it was all over... So I don't think that it is necessarily the resources that is at fault; rather, the responsibility lies with the hierarchy of each section/ sqn/ wg etc.

And with the individuals themselves. I don't see huge demands for time in lieu of beer calls which often run after hours!!!

It will be interesting to see whether there there is a change with the advent of the PTL where individuals from your section can take the PT, and not the w*nker PTI. At least it will make the fatties have to come up with another excuse as the 'I hate PTIs' one won't be valid anymore'

MM