PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetscar int. ops proving that it's all about "choice".
Old 21st Dec 2006, 23:42
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
longjohn
Qantas immediately needs at least 15 A320 / 737 size A/C to resume 'serveices' to ports on which it currently uses Jetstar to carry the pax(LT, HBA, CG, MC etc).
Not necessarily. It really depends how efficiently QF uses it’s current resources i.e. both aircraft and staff. You are assuming that QF’s aircraft are being utilised to their maximum. I have a few mates on the 737 who tell me that the hours they work per month has declined considerably since J* started. Could it be argued that maybe the aircraft aren’t being utilised to their full potential?
Meanwhile, the shackles are removed from Jetstar.
More like J* will cease to be propped up by its parent company and the financial shackles will be removed from QF.
Depending on the new owner (SQ? Emirates?) expansion could be more aggressive and targetted directly at QF and DJ's higher yield (Brand name change / reposition).
I think you will find that foreign ownership in any Australian airline is limited to 49% and any foreign carrier to 25%. Either way it’s a non controlling interest.
At the end of the day, with the lowest cost per ASK of any major airline in AUS it is too attractive a proposition to a potential suitor.
Only because they are propped up by QF. Remove QF’s support and watch the cost per ASK go through the roof. It’s a wonderful thing smoke and mirrors. QF have been using it extensively in hiding the true cost of J*’s operation since day one.
Like Virgin Blue, Jetstar would aim for the lowest hanging 'buisness' fruit.
Yeh the easy pickings. History has constantly proven that there is only enough room for two major airlines in the Australian market. What we have at present is only two airlines. One of them though is pretending to be two though.
If, however, as many of my learned colleagues suggest, Jetstar is not profitable, then the comprimise may be to simply return the a/c to QF colours ala the Qantas link days.
I suspect that is what will happen once they have screwed enough of their employees, after all you have to rationalise the number of managers two airlines creates don’t you?