PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cancer and ATPL/H
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2006, 17:03
gunnersides

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancer and ATPL/H

I'm a very fit 54 year old police helicopter pilot recovered from surgery and chemo for bowel cancer. The CAA have imposed a 5 year dual pilot only limitation on my license, effectively destroying my remaining career in police aviation and possibly further afield. This is despite the fact that both my consultant surgeon and oncologist strongly disagree with the CAA and have written on my behalf. I still have post chemo tests to complete and thereafter, tests every 3 months for 3 years and every 6 months for 2 years (routine, not CAA initiated). The CAA speak of tumour return and "sudden incapacitation"...."inconceivable" in the eyes of my consultant. I briefed both BALPA and a senior independent AME some weeks ago and await their response. The silence from BALPA concerns me. I have had sight of JAR FCL3 and am not convinced by its arguements. Like most of us, I am probably more at risk from heart attack or aneurism. I have the full support of both the police and my employers but this is an uphill struggle. Does anyone out there have any helpful advice?