PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol and Pilots..............
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2006, 11:32
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scooter boy I've followed the reports closely since the law enabling police to breath-test pilots was introduced, and represented the first pilot at Heathrow to be prosecuted and sent to prison. I have seen nothing to suggest your assertion is correct.

I can't think of a case in the UK where the pilot was "shopped by colleagues", nor where a pilot was "caught after flying erratically."

Surely it depends, amongst other things, upon the quantity of alocohol consumed and the elapse of time between when it was consumed and when the pilot performs his aviation function?

FL[/quote]

FL,

Thanks for your comments.
Some examples that spring to mind to qualify my assertions:
I recall a BA captain who was prevented from taking to the air in Norway as I recall after cabin crew raised concerns. Big fuss about 1 year ago - in the papers and on BBC news.

Also I have heard of a couple of cases of the police being called by ATC after very erratic flying - one I think in the US and another in the UK, I think it was Bournemouth but I may be wrong.

My point was that although the blood levels of alcohol may revert to normal the hangover effect can last much longer.

SB