PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 3
Thread: BRISTOL - 3
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2006, 11:19
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bristol_Traveller
I can see that Bristol faces opposition from a group of people who (as individuals) have an unusually potent mix of being relatively affulent, environmentally aware and organised. That probably reflects the socio-demographic make up of the Greater Bristol area and the area directly around the airport. We're certainly the most eco-aware part of the UK - for both good and bad.

I accept everything you say from a factual point of view but the airport is facing a particularly well-organised group and the psyche of the wider local populace has to be taken into account.

I cannot put it better than Bristol_Traveller, an excerpt from whose recent post I reprise above.

If John Prescott overturned any council decision, whether it be non or partial acceptance of the master plan as a basis for future planning applications or individual planning applications themselves, the antis would paint it as Big Brother central government over-ruling the democratically elected local representatives.

They would then command support from a lot of ordinary local people, not themselves anti expansion per se, but furious that decisions were being taken out of local hands.

Having lived in this area for over sixty years I've seen it before, in connection with roads, supermarkets and other matters. We can be a funny lot down here.

At the end of the day the plans might be pushed through, but only perhaps after appeals or even a public enquiry or high court challenges.

This would take a lot of time, something the airport hasn't got a great deal of if it wants to adhere to its published timetable, and if the Conservatives were to win the next general election they may well go right back to the drawing boards in their plans for the future of civil aviation.