PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My experience of the physical effects of a rapid decompression & emergency descent.
Old 20th Dec 2006, 23:50
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That now makes 2 excellent posts on a topic that is rarely discussed, but should be. We train to death with respect to the handling and procedural aspects of events such as Decompression/Emergency Descent and Cockpit Fire or Smoke/Isolation and removal, without consideration of the physiological and psychological aspects.

I'm in complete agreement with you Rananim, that Isolation and Smoke removal procedures should be memory items, even in the simulator with (allegedly) non-toxic smoke, it is immediately apparent that reading of a check list and confirmation is extremely difficult, if not impossible. Although these procedures (i.e. Electrical Fire or Smoke / Isolation / Removal) are excessively (but necessarily) long, I've always taught trainees to have a thorough working knowledge of the important steps required - on the day that it happens, checklist use and co-ordination with the other crew member will be nigh on impossible.

I think that this is a darned good thread that should develop into some interesting discussion.

Regards, and Seasons Greetings,

Old Smokey