PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather, BAA, LHR, Xmas, BBC, Fog, BA, etc. Rants (merged)
Old 20th Dec 2006, 21:36
Stoic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, I declare an interest. I retired from BA a few years ago after flying BA’s VC10s, then B747s, for many years.

On a similar day to today, several years ago, I recall that I arrived over the UK in a 747 Classic from SEA to find LHR, LGW, STN etc. fogged out with un-forecast fog with 2 hours-plus holding delays for LHR. So we popped into MAN for fuel. [We were so keen to get our pax to LHR that I almost cocked up by putting too much fuel on (so exceeding max landing weight), but was saved by nothing more than pure luck]. We asked BA MAN staff to get us off to LHR asap. They responded: “Wait your turn” - 3 or 4 already delayed MAN-LHR shuttles. We said; “Hang on. If we don’t get away by whatever time, we shall run out of hours and we will have 340 SEA pax stuck in MAN.” BA MAN immediately understood our problem, we went to the top of the priority list, further delaying the short-haul shuttles and set off for LHR as soon as CAT 3 was anticipated so we could land. We landed with no delay in “real” CAT 3 at LHR.

I offer this to show that organising an airline operation at LHR during fog is not an easy matter. Whether or not it is the beloved “pea-souper” of a 1950s childhood is immaterial. Reduced landing/take-off rate due fog will disrupt all major airline operations, when an airport is operating to capacity.

In my opinion giving early warning of cancellation of tomorrow’s domestic services is eminently sensible. Passengers have early warning to make alternative arrangements.

Being aviation, sod’s law will ensure that tomorrow is fog-free.

Of course you can always try some of the low-cost operators when there is disruption.

Happy Christmas to All

Stoic