PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather, BAA, LHR, Xmas, BBC, Fog, BA, etc. Rants (merged)
Old 20th Dec 2006, 17:21
DtyCln

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olster
According to the news BA is canceling all domestic services today @ LHR.I find this bewildering as the last actual indicates 100'/600m which is of course well in excess of A319/B757 cat3B minima;I smelleth more BA/LHR pre Christmas chaos redolent of cock-up/mismanagement from the world's favourite -Merry Christmas
This submission merely proves your entire lack of Aviation knowledge!

Low visibility procedures reduce landing rates by about 25%, therefore the impact at LHR where we land 42-44 aircraft per hour is significant. The fact that BA has the majority of its operations based there means that it is therefore disproportionately effected.

The reason for the reduced rate despite CAT3 aircraft is basically complexity on the ground. Aircraft landing in fog tend to occupy the runway longer as the flight crew get their bearings and identify their runway exits in reduced visibility. Flight crew also tend to taxi slower in low visibility conditions for safety reasons. Air Traffic cannot issue landing clearance to the next aircraft until the preceeding aircraft has passed the CAT3 holding position. This position is further from the runway than the normal point where the following aircraft can normally be cleared to land. This is all being done in complete blindness in the control tower, with controllers completely reliant on Surface Movement Radar (where fitted).

Whilst not an airline employee I assume BA cancel shorthaul flights in order to prioritise what slots they have left, for higher pax number medium/long haul flights.

You smelleth nothing but your own S***!

Regards- Air Trafficer