PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you recommend a career in the military
Old 20th Dec 2006, 12:21
NorthCountryBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice to anyone considering joining the RAF right now would be to choose very carefully whose advice you take !! - . I have read with interest a lot of balanced and informative posts on this thread and from some of those you an easily pick out the current serving posters who are understandably becoming dis-illusioned with the RAF and the ones who have been out long enough to be viewing thier experiences with the rose-tinted spectacles that a few years away from it all brings (I include myself in this bracket).
Having served 10 years in a non-commisioned ground trade I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed at least 90% of that time. I saw some amazing places & sights, worked with some great people and enjoyed a sense of camaraderie and teamwork that from my experiences in the 6 years I have been out of the RAF I believe does not exist anywhere outside of a military environment.
I am very proud of my time in the RAF, and without question the values, skills and knowledge I picked up during my time have enabled me to get to where I am now - but would I recommend it to anyone else ???? - not a chance !!. Toward the end of my RAF career I saw the way things were going and voted with my feet - I've never looked back since, and from following threads on here and speaking to friends who are 'trapped' by the lure of imminent promotion / looming pension and still serve, I have no reason to think I was wrong.
If I were so presumptious as to think that someone would actually FOLLOW my advice - it would be to think VERY carefully for yourself and don't be swayed by anyones advice good or bad.