PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kings crown
Thread: The Kings crown
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2006, 10:40
Beeayeate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I joined (1958) my father gave me his hat badge. When I first wore the thing it was questioned by the SWO at St Athan because I was ". . . to young to have had it issued." He relented when told it was my old man's badge and told me "Keep it clean and bright then lad."

Wore it long and hard for the rest of my time in the mob, kept it when I left. The same King's Crown hat badge is now worn by my son-in-law at BZ. He's had it remarked upon too, same sentiment allows its continued use. Now my father joined the mob in 1939 so the bagde has been in 'service' for yonks (or 67 years) - not bad for a bit of brass. Mind you, the pin lugs have been re-soldered a few times, the splt pin retainer replaced many times and it's quite smooth now, but it still polishes up a treat.

As 'Pop' says above, the difference was always known as King's and Queens badges in my time and, funnily enough, still is according to my s-i-l. Further, it would seem they're somewhat sought after.

Anyway, it always looked a lot better than those bright plastic things we were issued with in the early 70s. They looked nothing more than Xmas tree decorations to me.