PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Management And Pilots Should Read This!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2001, 05:03
Mowgli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with what Fishbed says, and I believe we need to be managed differently. If we are going to be working more, then perhaps we should first look at working more effectively i.e deploying people more efficiently, having fewer people criss- crossing the country on their way to do a sector - that happens a lot in my company. We are looking at new IT software which should make us more effective with what we've got, and also improve our quality of life with better rostering.

We need to bring changes to management techniques: how many of your airline management have MBAs? If we're going to have to work more, then we need the quality of life at work and around work to be better. Slim down the paperwork, use IT instead, so you can communicate from remote areas with modern gismos on palmtops. What about salary incentives for having to live in an expensive area? Want me to work more? Give me some help to live in the expensive SE of UK so I can be at work more often without it being so intrusive on my free time.

We could make better use of our captive audience, ask a marketing bod how much he'd like to have 300 people looking at screens for many hours. There's money to be made there. I'm a pilot, but I want my company to survive, and make lots of money. My cabin crew are our sales people: the first thing they sell is a safe operation, but do they feel valued enough to sell more?

If we want to be valued more, we've got to add value to what we do. I reckon the airlines are in the dark ages where managment is concerned. That's not necessarily the fault of individuals - they need some new tools. Sorry, but not all "new management speak" is garbage, we've got a lot to learn.