PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Gear Lever Jammed Up Plus Eng Failure
Old 19th Dec 2006, 18:19
LEM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When automation works against you

Just a few points before the main thing:

- If we are on final and have an engine flameout, depending on the height and distance and other factors, we usually increase immediately the speed, retract to Flaps15, GPWS override, and probably continue for landing, if not too destabilized.
Also the go around is an option, but consider the scenario: this happens after having already performed a go around, the QRH procedure is long, fuel is short... if not destabilized, landig as described above would be a good option to consider.

- multiple failures scenarios: here our "inventors" love them, they dream all night to create subsequent failure, like IRS faul on n°1, then TRF bus 2 off (after 5 minutes IRS 2 quits...) plus all sort of hydraulics, fuel leak etc...!
NOT boring at all, I can tell you, and sometimes you must really squeeze your last drop of energy to survive that...

Back to main topic:
As I already said, landing an airplane with the lever up is not natural, even if your gear is down after sys A depressurization.
Sometimes automatic systems can work agaisnt you, as a good instructor made me learn the hard way once, when during a go around with engine severe damage, the autothrottle retarded the damn lever to idle (it had engaged in the retard mode, and I should have disconnected it)...

After the QRH procedure GEAR LEVER JAMMED IN THE UP POSITION, you are landing with a potential disaster waiting to happen, although remotely possible.

Imagine engine 1 fails during the flare, or there is a glitch in the signal, or you loose engine 1 rpm signal during the flare, the gear would retract!

I think it would be wise to pull those two LGTV breakers (which are right at shoulder level on P6, above the bar which protects the breakers against FO seat).

This idea came to my mind when I was told by a FO of his sim ck, when, after this long QRH procedure, they had to go around, and instead of keeping the gear down, they forgot and retracted it, so they had to start all over again before the next landing.

Automatic reactions of mechanical systems are nice, but beware of unwanted activations!

LEM