PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2006, 10:40
Binoculars

Just Binos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you are saying there is any more of a connection between alcohol and those working in aviation as opposed to banking, law, journalism etc etc
then yes, I'd deny it
And you would have every right to, Baron! It was a poorly worded generalisation, as befits the 1.28am time of posting. I suppose the crucial point from your post is "any more of a connection". No, I don't think there is any more, perhaps my point should be that I don't think there is any less.

It's also possible that my geographical location has influenced my views. I could, but won't, make a very impressive list of incidents I have myself witnessed in my thirty two years involvement in the game as it is played where legends were made, and almost all of them involved alcohol at some stage. I suspect those who have flown in Papua New Guinea could tell you three times as many similar stories. Anyone can be as sanctimonious as you like, and perhaps pilots from other countries are miraculously free of this trait; I can only call it as I see it. And let me hasten to add that I am including controllers equally in my generalisation.

The important points remain those pointed out by Mr Prouse. No man is an island, and few are those who can throw stones within their glass houses. Personal insults mean nothing to me, so save your breath.

Edited to add that last comment was not aimed at anybody who has posted in this forum, rather a couple of trolls in JetBlast.