PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2006, 22:47
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Capt. Prouse:

You are indeed an inspiration. I only wish that every professional pilot could have the opportunity to hear your words, whether they're drinkers or not.

I recently had the privelege of attending a course here in Canada where we learned the values and benefits of a Pilot Assistance Program. I admit that prior to attending the course, I looked at addiction as more of a character flaw than as a disease that affects the very core of the human brain. At the end of the course, my feelings on the matter were irreversibly changed for the better. I attribute much of that change to the pilots in the course who shared their stories of addiction. Their first-hand accounts of hitting bottom; being confronted with an intervention and eventually getting the help they needed to get better, affected me deeply. Short of witnessing the birth of my children, hearing their personal stories was probably the most profound experience of my life. All of those pilots raised your name as an example of someone they look up to. Having read your responses here, I can certainly see why.

Any manager who would elect to dismiss an employee who may be an alcoholic is treading on very thin ice, particularly if they're doing business in a place that has laws that ban discrimination against people with a medical condition. Yes, a pilot who arrives at work under the influence must be removed from duty pending a medical evaluation. It would be foolhardy to do anything less. If the medical evaluation concludes that they are suffering from an addiction, then their medical must be held in suspension until they can prove that they are medically fit to return to duty. Transport Canada has endorsed the concept of Pilot Assistance and the process that pilots must go through to get their medical back. As you said, the success rate of programs such as this is quite remarkable. Although I know you would humbly deny it, I believe that you are owed some credit for that.

I will close by saying that we all must understand that a pilot who is labeled as an alcoholic will suffer from a great deal of shame and guilt for having been found out. Pilots pride themselves on being seen as calm and rational individuals who are capable of handling a great deal of stress. The need to medicate (i.e. drink or take drugs) to feel better is tough for them to admit to themselves, never mind to their loved ones and colleagues. They must be shown that they are not alone, and that there are many colleagues out there who, like yourself, have lived life "on the edge" and with time and some help, have learned how to live "in the middle" again.

Many thanks to you and all those who give so much of their time to help others.

Jeff