PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2006, 21:38
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manfred
”if (Binoculars is) saying there is any more of a connection between alcohol and those working in aviation as opposed to banking, law, journalism etc etc, then yes, I'd deny it”
Based entirely on unscientific observation, I agree with Manfred. I have many friends who are professional pilots and lawyers, quite a few who are bankers, and others in a wide variety of professions and jobs; I’ve never seen any sign that pilots drink more often or more heavily than those in other professions.
A study of alcoholism in the professions in the mid 80s found that it was the serious illness most likely to affect professionals in their first 15 years after qualifying. I don't know, but I doubt if that’s changed.

Chuks says that a ‘macho, heavy-drinking’ culture comes from the military. I don’t doubt he’s right but, in Britain, that culture is widespread, especially amongst young people and regardless of socio-economic background. There is a widespread British culture of people going out for the evening with the intention of drinking to excess – and measuring the success of the night before by how badly they feel the next day. They then boast about how much they drank/how drunk they were, saying they had a ‘fantastic night’ and were ‘slaughtered’ etc.
Quite a few British Ppruners list drinking (described in various forms) under ‘Interests’ in their Profile. And that’s by no means limited to those who are (or claim to be) professional pilots.

Binge drinking appears to be an integral part of the social life of many British youngsters, not just young males. UK women under 25 drink 2-3 times as much as young women in France and Italy. Teenage bingers are also more likely to take the habit into their 20s. Thankfully, as Chucks says, most people tend to grow up, but some don’t and, sadly, more than a few of those become alcoholics.

Generalisations are always risky, but my impression is that generalisations by country reveal more than generalisations by profession or job.

FL