PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2006, 17:45
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcoholism does not affect everyone in the same way.

During my treatment at Shick Shadel Hospital we were told that about 10% of the population carry a gene that makes them more suseptable to becoming an alcoholic than others.

During their research into the why of alcholism they did many tests, one of which was using a breed of monkey that would not drink alcohol. However once injected with the spinal fluid of an alcoholic 100% of these monkeys drank themselves to death.

Further experimentation with these monkeys determined that regardless of the fact that an alcoholic had been dry for decades injecting the monkeys with the spinal fluid from a non drinking alcholic produced the same result, the monkeys drank themselves to death.

I am part native American Indian and we carry this gene that makes us far more prone to alcholism than say someone from Europe who have had alcohol as part of their life style for centuries.

So based on the findings of Shick Shadel and my reaction to the drug that was administered to me at the hospital I belive their findings to be true.

My reaction to the drug was dramatic and almost killed me, they changed the amount once they found out that I am part North American Indian.

Alcoholism is far from a benign affliction and we may be well advised not to be to judgemental of someone who has this disease.

Chuck E.