PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2006, 08:06
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's quite a range of responses here, from the knee-jerk 'ban him from flying for life' to some very moving accounts of recovery from alcoholism.

I have seen this from both sides, having to work with alcoholics (who usually went unreported and untreated until they could be quietly got rid of, in the old-fashioned way) and also being perched on the rim of the glass just about to slip on a wet spot and fall in. I was lucky to have moved way back from that but I can still think, 'There but for the grace of God go I,' when I read about someone being arrested in this way. People who come across all pompous and self-righteous probably are either deluding themselves or else lack imagination and compassion.

It really is pretty weird the way we have come to accept taking small doses of a neurotoxin ('intoxicated' simply means 'poisoned' in everyday speech, after all) to ease our way in society but it's a given just like smoking, and we have to deal with it. Some of us manage better than others.

Aviation is very strange in the way that it has a very boozy sub-culture (when I think about where I met this or that fellow pilot that was usually in a bar, of course) and now very strict surveillance of drinkers. You could call that 'schizophrenic' in layman's terms.

Perhaps it would be useful for us to be more willing to intervene before it gets to the stage of a fellow pilot being arrested and smeared all over the tabloids but that 'denial' stage of alcoholism usually gets in the way of that. I don't have a ready answer to this problem.