PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2006, 23:53
grimmrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
privilege

Originally Posted by TimS
I have read all of both (perhaps you missed one?) of SAS's posts - indeed now for a second time at your behest SLF.
I understand (and have personal reason to do so) his anger and the harm that was done to himself/family/friends by a drunk driver.
I will still not support the premise that the individual concerned should "never, ever flys [sic] again".
If under reasonable professional measurement he is treated and cured (and one contributor who, apparently knows the individual concerned, suggests it was a 'one off aberration' along the lines of SAS's self admitted "reporting whilst not feeling 100%" rather than a deeply infiltrated problem) for a medically recognised condition it is my opinion that he should then -and only then - be able to continue to enjoy the priviliges of his licence in the same way that Chuck, a couple of colleagues who I have known and a larger number of their fellow professionals have done.
Just a question here and I might add that I am not a pilot but have a licence as well - isn't it exactly this "pivilege" of the licence that should not be taken for granted but requires the proper proffessional behavior and attitude to deserve it?
I have seen enough vicitms of drunken drivers (including children) that I can absolutely understand calls to remove those who inflicted this from their responsibility simply as they did not hold up to it (including revoking a license etc.). Please note - I am talking in general and are not making any judgment on the person in question.