PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2006, 14:54
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
Ive been in aviation for a long long time, and I am acutely aware of the dtresses and strains that lead "professionals" to drink and other substances, but I sincerely hope that he serves the full sentance, gets the help he needs to accept the gravity of his problem, and never, ever flys again,
The guy clearly has an alcohol addiction. Maybe you could take some time to understand the physiology of addiction a bit more before you condemn him for life. If he arrived at work in that state, then he does deserve to have his flying priveleges removed at least for some time. Unfortunately, 6 months in jail may heal the pain of society, but it will not help this guy, or anyone else to get past the addiction.

Contrary to popular belief, addiction is not a character flaw, it's a disease of the brain, and it is treatable. Forward looking companies have pilot assistance problems that are designed to provide the type of guidance and support that can help a pilot get well and in many cases, return to active duty successfully. Sadly, I suspect no such offer will be made and instead of getting better, he may be destined to live out his life in shame and disgrace. What a waste.