PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2006, 13:54
alghaita ganga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18L

Okay, I have undertaken of some research and if you want specific details, the flight depart at 1853 local. On the day in question sunset was at 1822 local. At that lat/long civil twilight lasts for 23 minutes, so it was official civil dark at 1845 local. So according to your bible the operation was possibly not legal.

Civil twilight ends when the center of the sun is 6° below the horizon. At this time in the absence of moonlight, artificial lighting or adverse atmospheric conditions, the illumination is such that large objects may be seen but no detail is discernible. Twilight is generally shorter at the equator, where the sun's path toward the horizon is more nearly vertical than at higher latitudes; at Owerri it last 23 minutes

If you are meaning where was I - I was in the cabine. Were I in the cockpit - no. There was no lightning and there was also no lighting - Owerri has none on either the parking ramp, the taxiway or the runway. I have checked. I do not know if Osubi have any lighting, but you tell me no, so I believe you. I believe you when you say that this happens, but is still not right for scheduled flight. I did not rush to judge; I used to be pilot, I have flown from bush strips in the dark. I have never flown scheduled air transport, but I shall now do research to see if this is legal at night with no lights.

I was grateful to leave Owerri, but it does not mean it was right. VK were in the wrong being late and maybe the crew wants to get the aeroplane back so they don't upset the schedule in the next morning. This still does not mean it is legal or right. I know that many of you here are now saying I am wrong, but if so, it shows me that there are too many peoples in Nigeria who do not want to advance. Believe me, I wish Nigerian aviation to be very good and safe - after all I visit often on business and as a passenger I want myself and all other passengers in Nigeria to fly safe also. So please, don't keep saying its wromg of me to highlight these thing - it is only by showing the wrong things they can be put right. I have said before good things about Virgin too, but if something is wrong, I shall also say that thing.