PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Youngest 747 captain ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2006, 12:33
late developer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ignition Override
Unrestrained (barely regulated) American capitalism at its best...
It's everywhere.

Not sure what qualities are required in order to notice the errant details arising from the unrestrained stuff.

I imagine that from the LHS if you are tasked up and even the slightest bit anxious not to be seen to make a mistake, it may be quite easy to miss something non-routine, no matter how old or how young you are. An experienced subconscious might save the day but I for one, am not convinced.

On the other hand from the right hand seat as a relaxed observer with a capacity to double-check everything with your experienced eye coupled necessarily with a judgemental mindset (which might not be attractive!), you might easily notice errant details, and that same relaxed, judgemental, confident mindset allows such things to be pointed out very quickly and no mistake ("STOP the pushback!!!).

Put that same guy in the LHS and distract him with routine workload and one or two non-routine tasks and watch his spare capacity to notice the non-routine detail diminish quickly.

I imagine young commanders recent to the job, put alongside known experienced F/Os will be most prone to task overload unless they are very smart and confident leader-type cookies indeed. But then the F/O can make up for it.

I have no (imagined) idea of how a young commander alongside a similar-aged F/O works out in practice except that in that case the cockpit may be missing a certain je ne sais quoi.

(I imagine!)