PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you recommend a career in the military
Old 18th Dec 2006, 23:01
Pongochap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost time to leave. 19 years man and boy. Going because:
a. Its time, don't want to be sweaty old bloke in crewroom......

But, I have loved every minute of it!!!! The places I have seen, the things I have done. I am very proud of my contribution.....

We all get a bit jaded after a while - but I must admit I am a little surprised by the whining on this site. I have done 14 or so Op tours and enjoyed them more than everything else.....

Life is too short to sit behind a desk and watch it on CNN pass you by.
Desperado,

Bravo, and from a Crab - well I never!

The military has many issues but I'm still astounded at the whining that goes on as we get paid to complete flying training and then operate front line aircraft. The crewroom will not decide whether the Army gets Chinhooks or the RAF JSF etc.... so why not focus on what you can influence.

It's a job without equal as it's not a job, and you're surrounded by some exceptional people.....

What I'd say is don't expect to warm and comfortable throughout your military career and don't let the whinging majority stop you and make you think life is better sat behind that desk, watching it on a box.

Finally - know when it's right to go and you start to avoid doing what you're put on that op tour and in that aircraft for..... just because you can't think of anything better to do.

Otherwise, I'd recommend it to anyone. It was always different 'In our day'. But, as Desperado, says

I have loved every minute of it!!!! The places I have seen, the things I have done...
Well said D