PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you recommend a career in the military
Old 18th Dec 2006, 22:15
DESPERADO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost time to leave. 19 years man and boy. Going because:
a. Its time, don't want to be sweaty old bloke in crewroom.
b. Wife wants to move overseas, somewhere nice and sunny where it doesn't take 3hrs to drive 50miles and you don't have to queue for eeeeeeverything! And somewhere that still has English as its primary language when dealing with utilities companies on the phone.
c. I am pretty tired - had 12 years continuously on Op Sqns.

But, I have loved every minute of it!!!! The places I have seen, the things I have done. I am very proud of my contribution. Kids leaving school could really get a lot out of a military career - I am RAF, but I think all 3 services have much going for them. I have seen so many kids over the years who have been made into men (and women) by the services.

We all get a bit jaded after a while - but I must admit I am a little surprised by the whining on this site. I have done 14 or so Op tours and enjoyed them more than everything else. I have also made the point on other threads that I stopped believing a long time ago that I was doing it for Queen and Country (because the Country doesn't give a sh!t). Working hard and fighting with my mates, knowing that the guys on the ground are relying with their lives sometimes on me doing my job right are the reasons that I have stuck with it and the reason that I feel proud to have served - I can't think of too many other jobs, police, fire maybe, that could give even remotely the same sense of comradeship and teamwork.

I have actively encouraged, and still am encouraging my son and the kids from my local cadet sqn to join up.
Life is too short to sit behind a desk and watch it on CNN pass you by.