PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you recommend a career in the military
Old 18th Dec 2006, 22:00
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
I was asked at my last assessment (when I has made my intention to serve my current commitment and no more clear) if I would recommend the RAF to a friend. "Not if I wanted them to stay a friend" was the only answer I could honestly give.

If you were at your wits end and had no other options then yes, as a last resort, I would recommend the military but ever since Options For Change the military have taken a beating from its political and quasi-political (high ranking military) masters and it doesn't appear it'll end soon.

Yes I know the military has always played second fiddle to the other government portfolios at the treasury trough but it appears in recent times its been taken to new levels and the lack of ability for the rank and file to realistically do anything about it is being fully capitalised.

As I always say though, overall I have enjoyed my service and feel I have contributed to the best of my abilities and will look back mainly with fond memories but I fear for the future and those I leave to go on.