PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2006, 19:18
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Take Care Out There In Nigeria

Well, the fight is now being taken from the swamps and the outskirts of the cities (except for the Goodfellas kidnappings) to the residential hearts of the oil companies. They're the miserable so-and-sos who refused to allow us to live in their so-called secure compounds and kicked us out many years ago. Good for them .
There were those who thought that the CHC takeover of Schreiner was a good thing, but what has it done for any of the 'old hands'? Given them a crap pay scheme where they have to claim for their pay every month and it's up and down depending whether they're on leave. They've brought in a few flash new helicopters and got rid of a good number, so they now have a lot less. Their standards are much lower than the old Schreiner ones and because so many of the old Schreiner hands are complaining about it they're doing all they can not to encourage them to stay. They've consistently lied about what they were going to do about the housing and now many of the originals will leave rather than move to that ill-conceived new so-called 'death camp'. I miss Nigeria terribly, but I'm so grateful I have nothing to do with it as it now is.
Take care out there boys and girls - the situation is getting very dangerous and your employers are doing nothing to improve it either in terms of genuine improvements in security or financial compensation for the dangerous environment