PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineer Shortage ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2006, 13:24
HeliEng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To anyone who reads this, it is not meant as a personal ‘dig’ at anybody, and it is based on my own experiences and the people I have met and dealt with whilst at work.

I think that it goes without saying that there is a shortage of engineers. We are facing a problem of an aging workforce (sorry guys!) and there is little in the way of up-coming young people to take their places.
In my experience (and this is not a sweeping generalisation) the young people that I have seen, particularly those attending work placements, are not actually interested in becoming an engineer, or they thought it might be good idea until they get a taster of what we actually do, then they change their mind.
I believe the fire service and police force are going through much the same crisis, and I believe that it stems from this computer age that we are living in. People don’t want to have to get off their ar@*s and actually “DO” something!
There also seem to be a growing number of engineers opting for a change of direction. I know of at least half a dozen who have left aviation to pursue a career in another field.
Companies are not helping themselves either. With growing pay issues at more and more companies, with few doing anything about it, staff are getting more and more disgruntled, and seeing that other industries hold greater financial rewards. It is fairly accepted where I work that your average experienced car mechanic is likely to be earning more. Also with growing commercial pressure, people are expected to do more for less, overtime at a seconds notice, and things like that.
Our world is growing so money-orientated that people don’t do jobs because that is what they want to do, it is all to do with money. Personally I do my job because I love it. Fixing helicopters is what I do, and in my mind is what I am meant to do. Don’t take me the wrong way, the money is nice, and I wouldn’t do it for nothing, but I would certainly not leave the industry for another job because of the money.

I also totally agree with SASless.

I was once asked by a pilot: "Where do you see your career going?"
So I replied: "I'd like to get my licence and then one day maybe be Chief Engineer"
He went on to say: "Would you then go on to become a pilot?"
"No" I replied "Why would I do that?"

His answer will remain with me until I die: "Surely that is the next logical progression isn't it? You don't want to be an engineer forever?"

Stepping down off of my soap-box!